2018... well I struggled. January started strong but, after a summer of heartbreak, a job loss and financial setback I felt totally defeated. Now, for 2019 I am ready and plan on knocking out everything on this list by 2020. Enjoy this quick list of the things I plan on doing for the year and I encourage you to make a list of your own. Manifestation is powerful and it is about time I start speaking things into existence.
1. My priority goal for 2019 is to buy my first apartment in Downtown, Mid-City, Wilshire or Anaheim (yes, I have options).
2. All my life I coined this term "She-ro" meaning my female heroes. After years of watching Sex In the City and the Oprah show, I learned at a young age that my heroes are Sarah Jessica Parker (Carrie Bradshaw) and Oprah Winfrey. They are on my vision board to remind me of my craft as a journalist. My ultimate goal is to have the same impact on people as these two women do whether in writing, fashion or philanthropy.
3. Late in the game but still as prevalent, Michelle Obama has been the latest addition to my "She-ro" list. Class, Intelligence and Style- this women took a whole new meaning to what a FLOTUS is supposed to be. Sorry Jacky O, but Michelle O. definitely has you beat.
4. Along with the new apartment, I also want a beautiful room. My room is my sanctuary and it influences every move I make for the day, I would love to keep that fresh energy throughout the year.
5. These "Off-White" shoes represent my 2019 style. Being a fashion-forward woman, every day I rediscover my personal style. With my love for fashion, vintage pieces, and hip hop culture- I learned that my personal style needs to reflect what is inside of me more. I realized that I need to elevate my style to focus on a more luxurious streetwear look.
6. The women in this photo represent two things I would like to prioritize in my life. One of them is mentorship. As an African American women in this industry, it is hard to find our way inside this white male dominated office. My goal is to find a mentor and in some ways become a mentor for young African American girls. I also will like to prioritize work into my everyday routine. Working a 9-5 does not give me much room to focus on my blog. However, in 2019 I plan to be fully committed to all of my projects.
7. This is a photo of my 2018 mentor and boss Lauren Messiah. Last year, I looked up mentors to work under in fashion and she was one of the women on my list. After researching about her past and career experiences, I was able to land an internship under her direction. She taught me everything I currently know about business. This opportunity allowed me to dream big as an African American businesswoman. For 2019, I would like to work under another mentor in fashion, social media and business.
8. As a blogger, I notice an obvious lack of collaborations between Black women and larger brands. We are in this culture where brands are scared to step outside of the box unless the product is directly marketed toward us. In order to climb this obstacle, I would love to form a blogger circle or crew of African American women to collaborate on projects with.
9. To continue the previous goal, I also would like to create a Los Angeles Blogger group for all women. This group will collaborate on ideas, throw events together, work on photo shoots and become each others' resources.
10. For 2019, I plan on going to New York for the first time.
11. Another career option I picked up from last year is styling. As a stylist, it takes almost five years to build up a resume. Building up a resume means working with prominent stylists. One stylist I want to work under this year is Law Roach, the stylist of Zendaya.
12. I love music ! One thing I definitely want to focus on this year is having fun. I made it my goal for the year to attend a concert or music festival every month of 2019.
13. Another goal I made for 2019 is to give back. Every month, I would like to spend one day either volunteering, mentoring or doing something for charity.
14. I cannot cook to save my life. Nor, can I do other artistic or valuable things. However, to solve that problem I would like to dedicate one day out of every month to take an activity class. This can include a cooking class, make up class, bar tending class or anything really. The options are endless and I am just ready to learn.
15. I'm pretty sure this is everyone's goal for the New Year but, I had to add it. I want to maintain a healthy lifestyle by continuously finding ways to work out. Also I would like to invest in getting a personal trainer by the middle of the year.
16. To continue my traveling goals I would like to take three important trips this year. First a romantic trip, second a girl's trip and third a spontaneous trip. I also plan on purchasing my passport so I can officially travel out of the county.
17. Last but not least, my ultimate goal is to elevate the Indigo Stop. Last year, I struggled to remain consistent and confident when it came to the blog. This year, I promise to do things way differently. My goal is to post new content every other week in a timely manner. My content will consists of interviews, advice and more. Overall, the Indigo Stop is ready to expand!